Direct Download of Xcode 4.1
Since Xcode was moved exclusively to the App Store I’ve found it to be a bit of a pain to download and install.
It’s so big (3.2GB!) that I’ve known the download to fail on a few occasions and you can’t use a download manager when downloading via the App Store.
As for resuming – let’s not go there….
Xcode is primarily Apple’s integrated development environment (IDE) for developing applications for Apple Mac and iOS devices but it actually contains a massive, free, suite of development tools for use on the Mac.
Xcode 4.1 include the following great tools and utilities: Instruments, Dashcode, Xcode, Quartz Composer, Icon Composer, Application Loader, Network Link Conditioner, Bluetooth PackageMaker, Clipboard Viewer, SleepX, CrashReporterPrefs, FileMerge, Syncrospector, Help Indexer, USB Prober, IORegistryExplorer and tons more.
So here are the clear and simple instructions for downloading and installing Xcode version 4.1 for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later.
- Download xcode_4.1_for_lion.dmg from one of the direct links in the download section below. (I recommend using a download manager as it’s 3.2GB!)
- When downloaded, mount the DMG file and launch InstallXcodeLion.pkg
- The Xcode Install Assistant Installer will appear. Continue through the installer accepting all defaults.
- When the installer finishes, click Close.
- At this point you’d be forgiven for thinking you’re done – but you’re not. The installer you just went through was to install another installer!
- Open your Applications folder and click Install Xcode. A new installer will appear – continue through this installer accepting all defaults.
- When the second installer is finished, you’ll see a new Xcode icon on your Dock.
- More importantly though, you’ll now find a Developer Tools folder in the main volume of your hard disk which contains a huge array of cool developer tools.